Please take a moment to call your member of the U. S. House of Representatives to register your support for H. R. 2474. This bill, also called “Protecting the Right to Organize” (PRO Act), was introduced by Rep. Bobby Scott (D-VA-3) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA). PRO Act would eliminate right to work laws and modernize the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). It would strengthen the federal laws protecting a workers’ right to organize a union and enact serious safeguards against corporate interference in organizing campaigns.
You can reach your U. S. Representative by calling the PRO Act Action line at 888-848-4824. You will be connected directly to your Representative, so you can register your support of this important bill. You can also show your support on social media with the following hashtags:
Today, the NLRA doesn’t completely protect workers from any employer reprisals when organizing or empower workers to enforce their labor rights in court. The PRO Act ensures that workers can actually exercise those rights by:
- Increasing penalties for employers that violate workers’ rights.
- Strengthening support for workers who suffer retaliation for exercising their rights to organize.
- Preventing employers from interfering in union elections.
The PRO Act also strengthens workers’ right to bargain at the negotiating table, because it:
- Enhances workers’ right to support secondary boycotts, strikes, or other acts of solidarity.
- Allows workers to engage in collective or class action litigation against employers who violate their workplace rights.
- Ensures unions can collect “fair share” fees (currently forbidden in Right-to-Work states).
- Facilitates initial collective bargaining agreements by mandating binding arbitration for first contracts, if the parties cannot find agreement on their own.
The TWU will fight to make this legislation into law, so that all of our members have the right to organize and make their communities more prosperous for everyone.